Why volunteer?

Why volunteer?

Do you want to make a life-changing difference to someone in your community? Or take the plunge in a new career? Come and volunteer with us and make all the difference to health and wellbeing of local people.

Why should I volunteer for Bristol Community Health?

• Make a life-changing difference to someone in your community
  • Meet new people in your local area and get out and about
  • Gain professional skills and build your confidence
  • Feel a real sense of achievement about doing something worthwhile
  • Try something new and learn different skills
  • Give something back to your community and local health services

What can I expect from my volunteering role?

• Support from our dedicated volunteer coordinator: Greg will help you with everything you need, from induction training to ongoing personal support.
  • Free training courses on topics like deaf awareness, learning disability awareness, diversity, safeguarding, motivational interviewing and more. These will help build your confidence in your role and will also help your CV stand out from the crowd.
  • Flexible hours that suit You can shape your role in a way that suits you. Some roles can be done from home, in the evenings or the weekends, and some will be near your home so you don’t have to travel far.
  • A wide range of different roles to choose from which suit your interests, skills and personality.
  • Connection to a network of lots of other like-minded Bristol Community Health volunteers who will support and encourage you and share their experiences.
  • Fully paid expenses, including travel costs.

Who can volunteer?

Absolutely anyone over the age of 18 is welcome to volunteer for us, whether you are retired, still in work, studying or not working. You don’t need lots of recent work experience, but you will need to be friendly, respectful, reliable, a good communicator and able to commit to your role for a minimum of six months.

In their own words

“My volunteer was a lovely lady and her support has been brilliant. I couldn’t ask for anything better and I am really happy.’ Patient

“I really felt like the work I was doing impacted the individuals, which made me feel like I was able to make a difference” Exercise Buddy.

“It feels like a privilege to help people with their most pressing need: contact with other people. Isolation can lead to despair. It is a great pleasure to be able to help people break out of it and be invigorated by companionship and activity… The volunteering team prepared me for my role by arranging for me to shadow a Bristol Community Health physiotherapist on her home visits, and then I went along with experienced Community Navigators before meeting people alone.” Mike, Community Navigator volunteer. Read more about Mike’s story here

Tags