What is this service?
The Haven is a specialist primary healthcare care service for asylum seekers and refugees who are new to Bristol. Our team of staff consists of a GP and nurses who will assess and meet the initial health needs of asylum seekers and new refugees. We also help people to access health services and other services they need.
What does this service offer?
The Haven can offer:
- comprehensive and holistic health assessments
- medical management of current health problems
- vaccinations and screening for transmittable diseases
- help for patients to register with a local GP practice
- information about how to use the NHS
- confidential interpreting during consultations
We regularly work with people who have experienced traumatic events. We have pathways and can sign-post to other helpful services such as counselling and refugee support organisations.
Our appointments are long enough to give us time to respond to complex needs. We are able to work with people over several appointments according to their individual need before discharging them to the care of a GP practice.
Who is this service for?
The Haven is a service for asylum seekers and refugees who:
- are in the Bristol and South Gloucestershire area
- are newly arrived in the UK and seeking asylum, or have recently gained refugee status
- have come to join a refugee family member as part of the ‘family reunion’ immigration scheme
- asylum seekers who have been transferred to Bristol from elsewhere in the country and have complex health problems
Patients should bring proof of their asylum application, this can be either their letter from the Home Office or their Asylum Registration Card (ARC).
How can I access this service?
Access to our service is by referral. Referrals are accepted from health practitioners, housing providers, social workers and agencies working with asylum seekers and refugees.
Self-referrals can also be made, either by visiting our reception desk at Montpelier Health Centre and leaving your contact details, or by phoning us on 0117 970 3887 – if we are not available to take your call please leave us an answerphone message. We can reply by phone using an interpreter if necessary and we will send you a letter to confirm your appointment details with a map of where we are located.
We hold clinics on Monday, Thursday and Friday mornings between 8.30am and 12.30pm.
Are you a clinician that wants to refer to this service?
If you are a clinician or GP and wish to refer to this service, please see referral forms on the left hand side.
Where this service is located
Bristol BS6 5PT, United Kingdom
Montpelier Health Centre