What is this service?
The Urgent Care Service comprises of:
- Rapid Response teams, who deliver clinical care to patients in their own home in order to prevent unnecessary hospital admission and facilitate early hospital discharge, agreed within a person centred plan of care
- REACT (Rapid Assessment Emergency Care Team), who work within the emergency department and other related clinical areas of North Bristol Trust and University Hospitals Bristol, in order to prevent unnecessary hospital admission.
The Urgent Care Service is made up of multi-disciplinary teams that include:
- Advanced Nurse Practitioners
- Mental Health Nurses
- Occupational Therapists
- Rehabilitation Workers
- Social Workers
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Support Workers.
Over 12 months* the Rapid Response and REACT teams have prevented over 3,000 patient admissions to hospital by making nearly 22,000 patient contacts or visits.
(*Between January 2017 and January 2018)
What does this service offer?
The Rapid Response teams will assess, treat and care for you in your own home or place of residence for a period of up to 7 days. They facilitate and provide care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – reducing the need for you to be admitted to hospital.
Our REACT teams are based in emergency departments to support you to return home when you no longer need to stay in hospital. Our teams can carry out an individual assessment of your needs and if necessary refer or signpost you to the most appropriate service to meet your needs in the community. These could include physiotherapy, GP monitoring, community nursing or social services.
Who is this service for?
The Rapid Reponse team can provide care and support for anyone over 18 years of age. We may also accept referrals for people aged 16-17 by exception.
The REACT team will care and support for anyone who has been in hospital for less than 48 hours due to a current illness or injury that has temporarily affected their ability to manage.
How can I access this service?
- You can access care and support from our REACT teams if you are within an emergency department
- To access care and support from our Rapid Response teams you will need to be referred by a healthcare professional.
Are you a healthcare professional who wants to refer someone to our Urgent Care Service?
To access our Rapid Response teams we accept telephone referrals only from GPs, and health and social care professionals.
All you need to do is call our Single Point of Access (SPA) on 0117 903 0202
This telephone line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Tell us what you think
Bristol Community Health would like to learn from your experience of this service. Your comments and suggestions will help us see what we are doing well and what we could improve.