How you can make a complaint

white man and nurse at event_large

Sometimes, things may not go to plan and you may wish to get in contact and let us know what has gone wrong.

In the first instance, we urge you to speak directly to the staff or person in charge of the service if you feel comfortable to do so. Our staff are there to help, and will be happy to listen to your concerns and do everything they can do to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible.

If it is not possible or you do not feel comfortable speaking directly to the service, you may wish to talk to somebody who has had no involvement in your care. In these circumstances, please contact our Patient Experience Team, on the below details:

Bristol Community Health,
South Plaza,
Marlborough Street,
Bristol, BS1 3NX

Tel:  0117 440 9180

If you are anxious about making a complaint yourself, somebody can make a complaint on your behalf, for example a family member or friend. You will be asked to sign a consent form to give us permission to discuss your complaint with your family or friend.

We require the following information in order to investigate your complaint:

  • Your name, contact number and address
  • Who or what you are complaining about
  • Include the name and job title of the staff members,
    if you know them
  • The outcome you would like from your complaint
  • Any other information you feel is important

Once we have received your complaint we will send you an acknowledgment letter which will detail the next steps in investigating your complaint.

Please note we endeavour to respond to complaints within 40 working days.

If you would like help or support to make your complaint, you can contact the Health Complaints Advocacy Service, which is provided by SEAP Advocacy. SEAP provide a free, impartial and confidential service, they can be contacted on 0330 440 9000 or by email to you can view their website at

If you remain unhappy after your complaint has been fully investigated, and you have received a formal written response, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) who may agree to investigate your complaint further. This ombudsman is separate from the NHS and from the government, and can be contacted at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033 (open 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday)
You should contact the Health Service Ombudsman within six months of your final response letter.

All of this information can also be found in our ‘How are we doing?’ leaflet. This leaflet is also available in Somali, Urdu, Punjabi, Romanian, and Polish.

Duty of Candour

Within our organisation, our staff comply fully with duty of candour, which outlines new rules around transparency and openness in NHS organisations if things go wrong with care or treatment. To find out more about it, download our duty of candour leaflet.

black lady_large