What is this service?
The Bristol Community Health Podiatry Service provides a specialist role in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of foot problems for those registered with a Bristol GP. Access to this service is only for those with complex medical conditions which puts the lower limb at ‘high risk’ of complications.
What does this service offer?
Our service provides podiatry services in community clinics across Bristol & a restricted home visiting service for those that are chair/bedbound.
The treatment provided will be based on medical and podiatric need. The care the podiatry services provide includes:
- Screening for patients with diabetes at moderate or high risk of developing foot complications.
- Minor surgery using local anaesthetic e.g. nail surgery.
- Immediate, short term and long term solutions for painful foot conditions for those patients classed as high risk.
- Acute wound management.
- Risk line staffed by a clinician for patients with diabetes (Monday – Friday, 9am-4pm).
What do patients say about this service?
“Service couldn’t have been improved! No waiting; kind and friendly clinicians with clear explanation of what was going to be done. Carried out without any difficulties.”
“I have always found your service excellent.”
“I felt the service was very good and did not think it needed improving.”
Who is the service for?
- People of any age that have a foot problem combined with an underlying medical condition that is affecting the circulation and/or sensation in the lower leg or foot which may put them at risk of hospitalisation leading to amputation.
- Patients who are registered with a Bristol based GP
- Podiatry is still currently accepting referrals for the MSK/Biomechanics Service. This offers treatment associated with the management of biomechanical joint dysfunction and associated soft tissue symptoms in the lower limb. This service does not offer treatment for the management of skin lesions and general foot care (corns, callus and verrucae pedis).
How can I access this service?
We can only accept referrals from health care professional including GPs, health visitors, community nurses, practice nurses and Allied Health Professional’s (AHPs).
You cannot refer yourself to the Podiatry Service.
I am a clinician that wants to refer into this service.
If you are a clinician or GP and wish to refer to this service, please see referral forms on the left hand side.
Tell us what you think
Bristol Community Health would like to learn from your experience of this service. Your comments and suggestions will help us see what we are doing well and what we could improve. To give feedback please click here.
Where this service is located:
- Amelia Nutt Clinic
- Brooklea Health Centre
- Charlotte Keel
- East Trees Medical Centre
- Fishponds Health Centre
- Hartcliffe Health Centre
- Hampton House Health Centre
- Horfield Health Centre
- John Milton Clinic
- Knowle Clinic
- Montpelier Health Centre
- Shirehampton Health Centre
- Southmead Health Centre
- St George Health Centre
- St John’s Lane Health Centre
- Stockwood Health Centre
- Wellspring Healthy Living Centre
- William Budd Clinic