What is this service?
The Bristol Community Health Bladder and Bowel Service (formerly known as the Continence Service) is a nurse-led, specialist service which works to support patients with bladder and bowel problems and promote healthy living. The service is based in Horfield Health Centre.
Continence is a health condition which relates to bladder and bowel problems most notably being incontinence. To find out more about incontinence, visit NHS choices.
What does this service offer?
Our Bladder and Bowel Service offers assessment, support and advice to patients who have continence needs. The service works to promote healthy bladders and bowels, providing care and advice for people with continence needs and promoting dignity, independence and quality of life for those with bladder or bowel problems. Our specialist nurses are trained to support you with whatever bladder or bowel health needs you may face. We work very closely with the Community Healthcare Teams, GPs and other professionals providing expertise, training and support.
Our service runs various clinics across Bristol near patient’s own homes, and we support patients within nursing and care homes. We will also offer advice and support to healthcare staff in Bristol who are caring for patients with bladder and bowel problems and advise on equipment and products when required. The service has close links with hospital specialists and make referrals to other services when required with patient’s consent.
What do patients say about this service?
“I had excellent services and a pleasure to be dealt with by such a pleasant clinician.”
Who is the service for?
Our Bladder and Bowel Service can support the following:
- people aged 19 years and over.
- those registered with a Bristol General Practitioner (GP).
- those able to attend a clinic to be assessed.
- families, carers, healthcare staff and our own community healthcare teams who are working with adults and children and require advice and support for people’s continence needs.
- Complex housebound patients who have bladder and bowel problems, often in partnership with community nurses.
How can I access this service?
This service can be accessed via a self-referral, which can be made by you, your family or your carer.
To make a referral to the Bladder or Bowel Service, please call the service on 0117 373 7118 or send us an email.
If you referral is accepted you will receive your appointment confirmation by email or post. We will also send you some documents to complete to help us assess and meet your needs when we meet you.
For your first appointment you should bring along:
- a summary of your medical history.
- a medication list and medical summary of your health which you can request from your GP.
- documents we send you to complete or you can download form the website which include: a symptom profile, a four day fluid intake, a urine output chart, and a 14 day food and stool diary.
Are you a healthcare professional that wishes to make a referral?
- If you are a GP
- Please write a letter of referral and enclose a summary of the patient’s care and post to Bladder and Bowel Service, Horfield Health Centre, Lockleaze Road, Horfield, Bristol BS7 9RR or email to: BRCH.ContinenceService@nhs.net
- If you are a Bristol Community Health employee or Community Nurse
- Please complete a referral form on the left hand side of this page and send to: Bladder and Bowel Service, Horfield Health Centre, Lockleaze Road, Horfield, Bristol BS7 9RR or email to: BRCH.ContinenceService@nhs.net
- If you are referring from a Residential or Care Home
- Please complete an ‘Assessment Form Care Home Nursing’ available on the left of this page and follow the Residential / Care Home Guidance which explains which part of the form you need to complete.
- If you are referring from a Nursing Home
- Please complete an ‘Assessment Form Care Home Nursing’ available left of this page and follow the Nursing Home Guidance which explains which part of the form you need to complete.
Tell us what you think
Bristol Community Health would like to learn from your experience of this service. Your comments and suggestions will help us see what we are doing well and what we could improve. To give feedback please click here.
Where this service is located
We currently have clinics available in:
Horfield BS7 8SA, United Kingdom
Gloucester Road Medical Centre
Bedminster BS3 3NU, United Kingdom
Bristol BS11 0QE, United Kingdom
BS6 6AU, United Kingdom
Hampton House Health Centre
Bristol BS14 0SU, United Kingdom
Whitchurch Health Centre
BS4 1WH, United Kingdom
William Budd Health Centre
Westbury on Trym BS10 5NB, United Kingdom
BS15 1LF, United Kingdom